Friday, January 23, 2009

Sunset after the inversion left

Mid afternoon the inversion started to break up. Is that the outline of the sun I see?

By late afternoon the sun came out and shone creating things I hadn't seen in a week: shadows. Everything was still frosted so it looked nice.

After dark the wind started. The cold air from the arctic is now rushing over the mountain passes and into the valley from east of the mountains where it is cold. On the left side of the photo below you can see the edge of the inversion as it being blown southwards. Good riddance.

The wind is really blowing for here. A steady 29 mph. Actually, after the inversion and calm stillness of the past week the wind is a refreshing change. And the wind is making me a bit nostalgic for my days back in North Dakota and Minnesota where the wind almost always blows. My soft spot must be because I am relishing the change from the inversion.

Of course with the inversion breaking up that means a clear sky at night and that means cold.

Here is tonight's sunset. I was a little late catching it as I am not used to seeing them lately.

No comments: