Sunday, February 01, 2009

Back to the Dakota

Monday morning I am taking the train back to North Dakota to visit my brother and work more on mom's estate. Amtrak had a fare sale and now is a good time to go.

Somewhat of a busy day for me today. I cleaned my wood stove in preparation of leaving. I even took apart the pipes that lead from the stove to the chimney and cleaned the soot out of them. A dirty job and so was I when I was done.

Then I did a thorough vacuuming of the house. Bits and pieces from the firewood invariably fall here and there and get stuck in the carpet, not to mention the dust from the ashes when I clean the stove.

And I took time to put stuff away outside and lock up.

I am using my gas furnace for heat today. Partly because I don't want ashes to clean tomorrow and partly to make sure the furnace works. This is the first I have used it this winter. I prefer the heat from my wood stove.

I am packed already. Usually I am packing well past midnight. Then again I don't have as much stuff to pack this time as I won't be gone as long.

No comments: