Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Loading corral gate

Before I forget, here are photos of the gate I built in my loading corral last year after the ground froze but before Winter arrived.

I decided to create this gate because the distance - at a little over 5 ft - was shorter than the other 8 foot sections. And I wanted a second gate in the loading ramp part of the corral. Extra gates can always be useful. There have been times I have been in the corral and want to get into the loading ramp corral but do not want to go through the cattle that are in the loading corral.

First I had to finish making a gate out of some boards strung together.



Completed gate: closed and open


I made a latch to lock the gate.
First photo shows the latch when the gate is closed.
Second photo shows the three holes I carved into the railroad tie to slide the latch into.
I carved three holes to make the gate solid to hold up to the cattle.


The gate is pretty solid and I am pleased at how it turned out. I think it will keep the cattle in the loading ramp corral when needed.

No comments: