Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Middling gray

I guess every winter I get like this. Maybe it is the mid winter thaw. One isn't hunkering down and enduring winter. The warmer weather moves my mind to thoughts of Spring. But there is still snow on the ground and Spring is a ways off. I am feeling out of sorts waiting... waiting. Being indoors all day on a cold gray inversion day doesn't help. Nor does attending to life's boring responsibilities such as reading over health insurance info and other stuff whose memory left me once I finished with them. What did I do today? Do I really want to remember?

I did shake the dust off a blanket and pillows on the couch and washed the dust off the couch and table. Didn't I just clean them last month? A downside of using a wood stove is that dust accumulates quite fast.

Speaking of wood stoves I read over a copy of the info the county has on the house and ranch buildings. The guy doing a ranch insurance estimate gave me a copy. It lists the house's heat as baseboard electric and no mention of the wood stove. It also has the house as being built in 1965 which is wrong. The house is older. It lists the dates of other buildings so I am questioning those dates. Especially as the dates in the paper are not as old as I expected as this has been a working ranch since 1941, which, by the way, is when the house was started. As the house was built in sections maybe 1965 was the date of the last section added to the house?

And the descriptions of the other buildings! Some I could figure out, others .... ? Poultry building? And which building is the barn?

I don't have the paper in front of me but I seem to remember the house's square footage listed as a little over 1200. It is probably right but is a little bigger than I expected as sometimes I think the house is only a little larger than the two bedroom apartment I had last rented in Minnesota.

Our temperature today ranged from a low of 21 to a high of 23. That's inversions for you. The weather forecasters are predicting a change by the weekend and an end to the inversion. Colder and snow. I guess I shouldn't complain as it will be a change. And maybe we'll get some decent snow to ski on.

No comments: