Sunday, September 30, 2007

Garden cleanup, etc.

Last night's predicted low temperature was above freezing. When I went to bed at 1 am the temperature was already down to 32 degrees. I was tired and it was cold and I decided not to go outside and cover my garden. Besides frost damaged the plants already when it got to 31 degrees a few nights ago.

I had just gotten into bed, and before I fell asleep, I realized the low temperature would be well under 32 and the vegetables I hadn't picked would freeze. *sigh* I got out of bed, got dressed, and went outside to pick stuff. While I had a flashlight, fortunately the moon was near full and I could see well by its light.

I picked the rest of the cucumbers, zucchini, cantaloupe, and squash. I picked the corn I could find. When I got to the pumpkins I decided not to pick them and instead got a tarp and covered them. Having gotten the one tarp I got other tarps and covered the tomatoes, beans, bell peppers, cabbage and broccoli. That was easier than picking them.

I got back in the house after 1:30 am.

My efforts paid off as the overnight low temperature was 27 degrees and it appears nothing I covered froze.

Today I picked the beans, pumpkins, some peppers, and the rest of the corn. The forecast is calling for above freezing temperatures this week as rain is approaching and the cloud cover will keep the temperatures above freezing. That is part of the reason I didn't pick the rest of the stuff. Besides I spent enough time on the other items. For the items I picked (except the corn stalks) I pulled the plants and tossed them in the hayfield.

When the clouds lifted I could see the mountains covered in white. Lots of snow up there! Good thing we hiked Dawson-Pitamakan when we did.

With this colder weather I closed for the year the air vents in my house's crawl space. No need to let cold air under my house!

I also burnt wood in my wood stove for the first time this Fall. I had no other choice as the house's interior temperature was 54 degrees this morning. A little too cool for me.

The leaves are really falling from my box elder trees. The ground is covered with yellow-green leaves with more leaves yet to fall.

My fruit trees are turning colors. One of my apricot trees is a reddish-orange and another is yellow. Also I found one red apple on my youngest apple tree. My first apple on that tree.

No comments: