Monday, October 01, 2007

Fence by the road

The forecast had rain starting after noon today. It started before midnight last night before quiting early this morning. The forecast wasn't entirely wrong as it did rain after noon. Thankfully for not all afternoon.

When it began to rain I quit cutting on wood for burning in my wood stove and moved to my tool shed and worked on straightening items up. All summer I have been tossing stuff in the open area in the middle of the shed with the intentions of later of sorting the stuff. I have discovered that "later" seems to be "never" as I keep finding other things to do. Today I made a dent in the mess. I still have a ways to go though.

Today's project was to fix the hayfield fence along the road. This is the fence my uncles razz me about. It ain't pretty but it works at keeping the cattle inside the hayfield as I have had no jailbreaks. The fence was not made to hold cattle and is a "work of art" of a hodgepodge of fencing styles and patchwork.

I had fixed the fence up before I let the cattle into the hayfield this summer but they were hard on it. The deer also are hard on the fence when they pass under or over the fence each night as they move to the field across the road.

Speaking of deer I forgot to mention that the night I covered the garden at 1 am I heard deer hooves off towards the hayfield. Even though the moon was out I couldn't see the deer but I sure could hear a herd of them thundering away over the frozen ground.

No comments: