Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Gophers, Hidden Lake, Willow Tree

Another busy day.

I trapped my 100th pocket gopher for the year. It doesn't look like I will exceed my 322 gophers trapped last year. Which is ok.

I hiked with Bill and Sue Ann today. It was supposed to be a shorter hike today but my day went from before 9 am till 6:40 pm. They wanted to hike down to Hidden Lake and to the end of the lake. They heard me rave about my hike with Colleen to this area (which I've yet to write up and include the photos).

Colleen and I had planned to later hike past Hidden Lake and up the shoulder of Bearhat Mountain since we found the location of the trail up there, but I guess that is not to be. Today's choice of where to hike was not my choice as it felt too soon to repeat a hike that was so much fun with Colleen. So I had to do something to make it unique and not just repeat what Colleen and I did as doing the hike with Bill and Sue Ann would pale in comparison to the hike Colleen and I shared. So I hiked up the side of Bearhat Mountain to the saddle south of Bearhat. I hiked up while Bill and Sue Ann stayed down near the lake. What a hike! I made it and was able to look over into the Avalanche Lake valley. A fantastic view! I was blown away by the beauty of what I saw.

Too bad Colleen broke up with me as I feel she would have enjoyed the hike and view. The same can be said of my backpacking trip to Sundance Pass. Many people on that trail were on horseback, and seeing as how Colleen is a horsewoman I am sure she would have gotten a big kick out of meeting those riders.

Oh well, what is, is.

I'll write more about the Hidden Lake hikes when I catch up. I'm starting to fall asleep as the day's hike is catching up to me.

Tonight I was noticing my willow tree in the evening light. Considering how bad it looked the previous year, the time I spent trimming it this Spring was well worth it.

The first photo was from this past Spring and the last two were taken tonight.



No comments: