Thursday, September 20, 2007

Snow on the mountains

After last night's rain (.20 inch) the clouds cleared somewhat this afternoon. Snow is on the Swan Mountain range to my east! The first snow of the season. By late afternoon much of it appeared to have melted.

The forecast low temperature tonight is 32 degrees. Freezing! Our first real frost of the season where I am. Joyce and others in the Valley already have had frost. Early evening the cloud opening above me and the central valley had closed. I doubted it would freeze. Still I got out my tarps and covered my garden. I have too much not quite ripe to lose to frost. A good thing I did. After the sun set the clouds dissipated and the stars came out. The current temperature on my thermometer is 37 and hours until sunrise. Not only will it get down to freezing, it may drop a few degrees below it. In the morning I'll see.

I have been eating beans, beets, onions, and now corn for my supper. This is the 60 to 70 day corn I planted late. The first time I have tried the short harvest corn and it tastes really good. I will continue to plant it other years - hopefully earlier.

I made another apple pie. Yum!

Dan called to see how I was doing. The last time we spoke was when we sold our cattle and I was in the midst of Colleen breaking up with me. Dan's shoulder surgery is tomorrow morning. Sound's like lots of repair work on it is planned.

The tree branches I had cut down yesterday, I cut them up into small pieces. I also split some logs for firewood. I have plenty left to split. My uncles never seemed to find the splitting maul when they visited me this past Spring. They seemed to say something about using a log splitter instead. Whatever happened to old fashioned elbow grease?

Yesterday I had used my chain saw to cut up the large willow tree trunk I had cut down last Spring. The one with the multiple branches growing from its end. Today I took my chain saw chain in to have it sharpened. It may take a week to get it back even though they have a machine that does the sharpening.

No comments: