Saturday, September 29, 2007

Rain and work

Friday I didn't have much extra energy. Hmmm.. wonder why? Could the Dawson-Pitamakan hike have had something to do with it?

Friday afternoon I was determined to spray a tank of herbicide on the weeds in the NE pasture. I should have known better, but my urge to spray verged on a compulsion. The forecast had rain for the evening as another cold wet front was to come through the area. Already in the late afternoon clouds were arriving. After it clouded over and no rain I decided to spray the weeds. Fifteen minutes after I finished spraying it began to rain lightly. *augh!* So much for a four hour window between spraying and any rain.

It rained less than 15 minutes, and lightly, so hopefully it didn't wash the herbicide off the weeds. After 9:30 pm it began to rain in earnest. This was just after the four hour time window since I finished the spraying.

I had expected that a tank of herbicide would cover the entire NE pasture and part of the north pasture. After all, I sprayed this area... how many times this year? I discovered our recent rains the past week have activated weeds. The grass is not greening up yet but the weeds that were dormant, or seeds, are now growing. I guess that is why they are weeds, they get a jump start on the grass. I found a number of weeds popping out of the ground. Friday I was only able to spray half the NE pasture with one tank of herbicide. I need to spray more when we get a break from this rainy weather.

It rained most of the night but quit by noon so I was able to do some stuff outside today.

The morning of the Dawson-Pitamakan hike the temperature got down t0 31 degrees. This time I didn't have very recent rains prior to the freezing temperatures and the frost did in my cucumber, zucchini, pumpkin, bean, corn, and cantaloupe plants. The tomato plants also took a hit, but they still are over half green.

Today I noticed that many leaves on my sunflower plants were eaten. I found deer tracks in my garden. *argh*

I have one pear tree that is not fenced. This Spring the cattle broke the wooden branches I had as posts and I never rebuilt the fence. Today I rebuilt the fence using metal posts and barbless wire now that I have each. With deer coming into the garden area no sense taking a chance they will again eat the bark on my young fruit trees.

A few days ago while riding my bicycle I ran over a staple and got a flat tire. The holes in the inner tube are not large but they have been bedeviling me ever since. I do not seem to be able to completely stop the leak. Each time the leak is less and I think this time I will successfully patch it. The tire is flat again tonight. I guess it is time for a new tube.

I finished replacing the rotten wood fence posts in the front yard. Still, the fence works never ends.

I split the large branches I had cut from the trees earlier this week. This cleaned up a pile of wood and will allow the wood to start drying for next year's burning. I also picked up my newly sharpened chainsaw chain. The goal is to cut up some fallen trees in the pasture next week.

I don't seem to get as much done each day as I expect. I have to remember it now gets dark before 8 pm, and the mornings are cool, so I get a later than usual start in the morning.

No comments: