Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Small projects

The rain and cooler weather came Monday like predicted. But the rain was scattered and not an all day event. And one of my trusty flannel shirts warded off the chill.

Monday it rained in the morning then the afternoon was nice with sun. It was warm enough that I could do some washing and I decided to do that rather than finish replacing the rotted fence posts in the front yard's fence. Since I washed and vacuumed my other vehicles I decided to wash my pickup so all vehicles are washed and clean. I hadn't washed the pickup's interior in a few years and I had a thick layer of dust from pulling the harrow over a dry hayfield in the Spring.

This very dry year has been hard on my larger box elder trees. I never noticed it until now when a few leaves are starting to turn Fall's yellow. It appears the trees are eliminating some branches. Once I finished washing and drying my pickup some dead and dying branches on the large box elder trees over my patio caught my eye. The trees are really tall but standing on a ladder in the pickup bed and using a long pole saw I was able to reach and cut a few "lower" branches. I should have closed the pickup's door as when I was done I had some sawdust inside my clean pickup.

Today the morning was nice but the afternoon had off-and-on rain. It seemed whenever I wanted to work on a project it would start to rain. So I did quite a number of small projects I've been meaning to get to when I had a few minutes. It is nice to get a number of them completed as sitting here and there underfoot they have actually been annoyances as they constantly reminded me of things I had to do but was not getting done.

This evening I trimmed more branches from the box elder trees. This time I was able to reach the branches via my extension ladder which I leaned against my patio. I was able to mostly protect my fiberglass patio roof from the falling branches though I did have one long branch fall back against the end of the patio roof and bend it.

A steady rain now. Kind of an odd or unusual sound, but nice, after a long hot dry summer.

No comments: