Sunday, September 23, 2007

Octoberfest Day at the Senior Center

Today my dad's friend Jackie invited me to an Octoberfest Celebration at the Whitefish Senior Citizen center where she volunteers. I met her at 1 pm and we drove over to the center and stayed until 3:30 pm.

The center had a German meal of sausages, potatoes, sauerkraut, cabbage, apple sauce and apple crisp for dessert. Later slices of cake showed up for dessert. The center hired a chef who works at Grouse Mountain Lodge to prepare the meal. It was good; I went back for seconds.

Music was provided by the Bavarian Echoes Band. They were good and played lots of "oompa" music as the band was mainly horns and a drummer. They played lots and lots of polkas and other German songs. And a number of "slap and clap" songs. The band played most of the time only taking a few short breaks.

A man and woman with the band were dressed in stereotypical German clothes and danced most dances. A number of older couples came out and joined them on the dance floor. I can say the older generation seems to dance more than my or younger generations. As this was the Senior Center most people were older than me.

The male band dancer was dressed in short pants (lederhosen?) with a floral design embroidered on them. I don't know about you but I don't like the look on men. I associate the look with pre-school kids seen in old movies from the 30s and 40s. On grown men... it looks kinda creepy. Especially with flowers embroidered on them.

I didn't mind the dresses some women wore that emphasized their bosoms.

Overall it was a nice way to spend a cool drizzly afternoon.

In the second photo the dance is called... you guessed it! The Chicken Dance. The guy in the middle was doing the "slapping and clapping" when I took the photo.



"For my next trick... I'll make myself disappear." (I would too if I wore pants like that!)

No comments: