Thursday, May 02, 2024

More box elder tree trimming

The bruise on my face is still visible, but I have continued with branch trimming on my box elder tree over my patio.  Some dead branches were cut here and there.  Then I cut a larger branch up high.  The end of this branch is dying but I couldn't reach that high.  So I decided to cut the entire branch.

The branch is about 30 ft high.  So I could stand on the ground and use my 27 ft pole saw to cut on the branch.  The tall height and using the entire pole saw length made the cutting slow. It was hard to make the saw's teeth press hard against the branch as I cut.  It took me hours to cut the branch.  I had to take breaks to rest my arms.   I cut almost half the branch when standing on the ground.  It was getting hard to move the saw blade in the cut in the branch so I changed positions.  I also wanted another position as I didn't want to be down below and near where the branch may fall.  To reach the other side of the branch I had to stand one foot on an extension ladder and the other foot on a large tree branch. Up higher I then could take off a couple sections of the pole saw.  The saw was a little lighter but the pole still had a bend in it between me and the branch.  So the cutting again was slow.

Finally the branch came down.  It crashed down onto lower branches and then the ground.  The fall went well as it was nowhere near me.  It was between the tree trunk and the house's entryway roof.


The branch to be cut is the right part of the "V" at the top of the photo.   The ladder is not positioned where I later stood on it.  The ladder was moved to the other tree and I stood partly on the lower trunk split.



Again, before and after.



As you can see the branch was not small.



Where the branch landed.  I had finally completely the cut just before dark as it took a long time to cut this branch.



The dead end of the branch broke off when it hit the ground.



The cut branch the next day.  I chain sawed the branch and cut it into smaller pieces.  It will go into my woodstove next Winter.


Here you can see how I cut from one side then the other.  The branch was heavy enough that it broke off on its own once this cut was made.

No comments: