Sunday, May 01, 2016

Calf 10 - Rose's

The morning of Saturday April 23 Rose had her calf.  She had her calf a little before 9 am when I was leaving to go to a co-op meeting.  This was Rose's first calf, and being her first calf, and Rose being of a small frame I had a concern she would have problems giving birth.  But Rose is Mama's daughter and Mama never had a problem giving birth.

Rose's calf is small, which also helped in giving birth.  The calf is a heifer and looks just like her mother.






When I took the first few photos just after birth Rose was protective of her calf. (Though not nearly as protective as Mama cow).  As seen below she didn't want me near her calf.  But almost four hours later when I took the next photo after this photo I was then able to get close enough to the calf to see that it was a heifer.  Donna could tell the calf was a heifer just by looking at her face.



First bowel movement?

These next photos were taken two days later.

Clyde (born 3 weeks earlier) in the foreground and Rose's heifer in the background.



I haven't settled on a name yet.  But it will be something to do with speed.  Even a week later this calf loves to run.  I seldom see her walk.  Even if it is for only five or six steps she often runs instead of walks.


No comments: