Saturday, May 21, 2016

Bigfork auction

There were several auctions around the area today.  The closest one in Bigfork looked interesting.


Saturday was supposed to be rainy but the rain held off until the evening.  Even so, in the morning, I took my time deciding whether to go.  I was so-so as I didn't want to drive the distance and then waste my time by not getting anything.  The corral panels interested me.  Finally I decided to go.  I didn't arrive until noon.

Arriving at noon was a good thing.  I missed their selling crap I wasn't interested in.   They got to the stuff I was interested in just after 1 pm so I had less than an hour to wait.

They had gates - not corral panels.  The auctioneers were still confused as they sold two of the five gates as corral panels.

I am looking for a 12', a 14' and a 16' gate.  I measured one gate to make sure and it was a 12' gate.  The other two were 10' gates.  The three HW green gates were very heavy duty and my bull would not bend them.  I definitely wasn't interested in the two "coral panel" gates.

I was shocked I was able to buy the gate I wanted for $37.50.  At that price each I bought all three HW gates.

New, the 12' gate sells for $160.  The 10' gates sell for $135 each.  $435 new and I bought them all for $112.50.  I was willing to pay $100 just for the 12' gate.

While I have four water troughs, if the small one they had for sale went for as cheap, I was going to buy it.  But only for $20 or less as I do have three extra water troughs.  Several people wanted the water trough and it sold for $28.  If I needed a water trough I certainly would have paid more for it.

That's all I bought.  The rest of the stuff was old and most I had no interest in.  Buildings were filled with stuff and it looked like it had sat there for decades.  Later when loading my gates into the pickup I spoke with a relative of the sellers.  William and Guy were father and son.  The father was a pack rat.  He died and his son inherited the stuff but didn't do anything with it.  When the son died his son didn't want any of it.  He just wanted it cleaned up.  Hence the auction.

Earlier, as I wasn't confident I would buy anything, when I realized while driving there that I had forgot my checkbook, I didn't turn around for it.  I had $102 cash in my pocket - another reason for the $100 limit on buying the gate.  But - $37.50 each - I would be stupid to not buy all three gates.

The auction company didn't take credit cards so I had to drive the 25 miles back home to get my checkbook.


As you can see much of the equipment was very old.



My three green gates, and the water trough I did not buy.

The view of Mud Lake from the site of the auction.  The Swan Mountain Range is in the background.



So... for once I was successful at an auction.


No comments: