Monday, May 02, 2016

#7 in heat

Buddy the bull is locked in part of the corral away from the cows. I don't need any Winter baby calves.

One cow (#7) went into heat this morning.   She stood outside the fence near the water trough and gate and got Buddy's interest.  Buddy already had pushed against the gate and started the posts to lean.  So I added some braces to the posts.  I also added a long board to the gate at the other end.




#7 was in standing heat.  I have some other cows I pre-heat and they got worked up and took turns trying to mount #7.  It was getting to be a circus. #7's legs were starting to wobble when the other cows mounted her. So I put #7 in the loading corral away from everyone else.  The other cows were upset #7 was where there was grass growing and they made lots of noise.

Later when the cows were outside the corral and just #7's calf was in the corral, I closed the corral gate and let #7 out into the main corral.  She ignored her calf and walked right over the fence where Buddy was and then stood outside the fence to get Buddy's attention.  When she didn't get the reaction she wanted she turned and backed up to the fence where Buddy was standing and pressed her private parts against the fence.  She was starting to get Buddy worked up so I had to lock her back into the loading corral for the day until she settled down.  Hussy.

I put #7's calf into the loading corral with her.

At 9 pm when I let #7 and her calf out of the loading corral they went to the water trough and drank.  Then after some pondering, and listening to Buddy's little courting noises, #7 slowly made her way out of the corral and over to the hay.  The other cows left her alone.

Hopefully this won't be the case for all the other cows when they come back into heat.

#7 in the loading corral.

Buddy taking a break from courting and eating his hay.

No comments: