Sunday, May 08, 2016

Stump 2: 2016

Saturday night I burnt another tree stump out in the pasture.  It was the second tree stump I had dug around this year. 

The stump had a number of large side roots.  To reduce the amount to burn, and the area to burn, I used my tractor to pull out many of the side roots.  The main stump was in the ground solid and could not be moved by my tractor.   Even though on one side of the stump I had dug down around five feet.


Donna joined me for the bonfire.  We started around dusk after 9:30 pm.  When she left at 1 am only part of the stump still stood.  Three big roots that had gone into the dirt on the sides of the hole had burnt through and I was able to push over half the stump over into the coals.

After I was finally able - with some effort - to push the remainder of the stump over into the coals I left.  I got home at 2:30 am.

It is amazing that a stump in the ground for decades still had enough moisture inside even after being burnt and subjected to intense heat for hours.

The northern lights were trying to make a show of it off and on during the night.  Not the greatest photo but you can kind of make out the lights in the bottom half as a splotchy image.




Here are 17 photos of the stump before, during, and after the bonfire.

https://picasaweb.google.com/109566462412251958234/6282559246111860337?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCI_Z9OzO2q_V4gE&feat=directlink


No comments: