Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Two auctions

Last Saturday I attended two auctions. Two. Feast or famine around here when auctions are scheduled. Both auctions seemed interesting so I juggled to attend both of them.

First I attended the auction a few miles north of me. An old auctioneer is retiring, sold his place, and is moving east of the mountains.

Naturally I was almost an hour late in arriving. It didn't matter as it turned out they didn't have anything of interest to me. Nor to many other people as the crowd was small.

One unusual item up for auction were boxes and boxes of comic books. A young 20-something man and his wife/girl friend were going through the comics. He had a price guide and would check the worth of some of the comics. I feel he was probably the only person interested in the comic books and probably got them very cheap.

The only items that "somewhat" interested me were a half dozen long metal pipes. I didn't have a tape measure but they looked long enough to be placed over my driveway entrance to replace the pole that is sagging down. These metal poles, while rusty brown, did look thick enough to support my "Tall Pines Ranch" sign. But they were a long ways down the row from being auctioned so I didn't stay for them. And do I really want a brown metal pole over my entrance?

After a short drive to a garage sale that advertised metal gates, I went to the second auction. The gates were being sold for slightly less than new prices and I passed on them. Besides two of the four gates were odd gates and not what I wanted.

The second auction was west of town and was an estate auction at a horse ranch. In addition to the usual farm stuff they also were auctioning horses and had lots of tack.

The audience at this auction was not your typical group of people. Usually men are 90% of the audience. At this auction half or more of the people were women. The reason: horses. Lots of cowgirls and horse women were there. When they sold the tack most buyers were women.

The only thing I was interested in were round metal feeders used for feeding from the large round hay bales. There were four of them up for auction. Two were very nice: heavy duty and a nice design where the bars were angled in to let the livestock further access to the inner part. One of the two feeders had one of the "U" blocking bars broken off. The bar was still there so one could weld it back into place. A horsewoman was the winning bidder at $350 a piece and she bought both of them. $350!!! What these rich horsewomen will pay!

The other two feeders were old, beat up, and a simpler design. One was similar to the feeder Dan is using at my place. The sheet metal on this one was rusting through, though the metal pipes were still solid. The other feeder still had its paint and no signs of rust but the bars seemed to be a little too wide apart and could potentially let cattle through into the hay.

These two feeders sold for $75 a piece and the winning bidder bought both of them. This time a ranch type looking man won the bid over a woman who wouldn't go to $85. Due to the poor condition the feeders were in he probably bought them to put in his back 40 and didn't care what their appearance was.

I know... my uncles are going to give me a hard time about being a "bottom feeder" but I only want one feeder and don't want something that has holes rusting through it.

While waiting in the hot sun for the feeders to sell - they were the last to sell before the horses sold - I people watched. And why not with all the women at the auction.

It was very hot out as the temperature was near 90. I noticed that by near the end of the auction all the women with long hair either tucked their hair under their cowboy hat, tied it into a ponytail, else wrapped their hair up so it was off their shoulders.

Some women wore spaghetti tops or t-tops with their bra straps showing. It appears that when wearing tops where you can't hide your bra straps the color of choice is black bras.

One woman was tall, thin, with long legs, a stylish haircut, and a white lace see through top. She didn't look like a horse woman and appeared to be there with her husband or boyfriend. I didn't mind as I enjoyed the view.

One woman wore a pinkish summer dress that was few inches above her knee. And black cowboy boots. She used her dress to shade her black dog.

Another early 20-something couple were both neatly dressed in a cowboy manner with hats, jeans, and boots. He wore a white tight 'wife-beater' t-shirt and had a macho way about him. She was thin, attractive, and wore a tight spaghetti top. They bought a few items. They left when I did and I noticed she - not him - carried the items to their truck.

Later a big boned teenage girl (junior or senior in high school?) arrived with a boy in tow. She was flitting about talking to relatives and others and checking stuff out and he meekly trailed behind while she was pleased at showing that she had a guy. They walked hand in hand, with her leading him as if he were mentally challenged. I don't think he was. He seemed to be a shy boy paired with an outgoing girl and he was probably following along with her so that he could get laid later that day.

So... two auctions and zero stuff bought. The way it goes sometimes.

No comments: