Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Backpack sprayer

I decided to buy a backpack sprayer today. I have a 2 gallon sprayer that I have to carry in my hand, and after several years one arm is longer than the other and I never was able to spray all of my pasture.

Spraying gets rid of the weeds as areas I have sprayed have far, far less weeds than non-sprayed areas. Of course some weeds need to be sprayed multiple years to eliminate them. Weeds such as Canadian Thistle and snowberry bushes. Some non-sprayed areas seemed to have increased in weeds since last year. This has discouraged me the past few days as I walked the pasture to set gopher traps. So I decided to get a backpack sprayer as it holds 4 gallons instead of 2 gallons. As I move further out in the pasture this will mean less trips back to the house to mix another batch of herbicide.

I bought a RL Pro Flo sprayer at Home Depot. I compared a few brands and they were fairly similar, and this was the cheapest of the group at a little under $80.

After assembling the sprayer I filled it up and sprayed in the NE pasture this afternoon. Initially it was nice to not have to carry the tank of herbicide in my hand. As time went on the tank weighed heavier and heavier on my shoulders. Hmmm... maybe I haven't recovered from carrying all those rocks in my backpack during the Elk Mountain hike last Friday. What next? Buy an ATV and tow a small herbicide tank behind it? Buy a tank for the pickup and drive around and spray from it?

Well... these methods may be quicker but the problem is I have trees in the pasture and this spray kills broad leaf weeds and trees. So a hand sprayer is necessary for large parts of the pasture.

My new and old sprayers, Brash herbicide and the sticking agent (to make the herbicide stick to the weed), and the measuring cup and cap.

No comments: