Friday, June 15, 2007

All Planted

My garden is finally completely planted. Since the last time I wrote I planted all my starter plants:
  • 10 tomatoes
  • 4 cucumbers
  • 8 green peppers
  • 4 jalapeno peppers
  • 6 cabbage
  • 6 broccoli
  • 12 sunflowers
  • 8 cantaloupe
  • 8 watermelon
  • 6 pumpkin
I also planted 20 hills of potatoes from my 10 large potatoes from last year's garden.

The day I planted the weather was unusually windy at 10 to 20 miles per hour. We were caught in the middle of High and Low pressure systems positioned just right (one north and one south) and they fed off each other to create the wind. I got wires and rods and sticks to help hold the new plants relatively in place so they wouldn't get wind whipped. The sunflowers which are already fairly tall - but laying down or curling somewhat - were challenges to straighten and stake. I partially tore one plant and it may not make it.

I also got small boards to use a sun protection for the time being. I haven't had a chance to get the plants acclimatized to the outdoors. I had to stake the boards to prevent them from blowing over. *sigh*

I got five old tires out to use around five of the tomato plants to help retain heat overnight. I had cut holes in one side of the tires so the rain water would not collect. I need to do that with the other tires.

The low temperature was 33 degrees last night. Yikes! Almost freezing for my newly transplanted plants. And the 33 degrees was not a record low.

Tonight after our hike I rode my bicycle (as I needed more exercise ) to Walmart to buy zucchini squash seeds. I discovered the ones I had from last year's zucchini were not completely dry before I stored them for the winter. And like the previous seeds I had to buy this year somehow buying new zucchini seeds slipped my mind.

Tonight after re-watering the seeds I had planted earlier this week, I watered many of the fruit trees and berry bushes nearby. The bumblebees are still thick around the raspberry plants. If what I think are raspberries will actually become raspberries, I will have a lot of raspberries! All the bushes are loaded with the buds.

No comments: