Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Cut

The first cut is the deepest, Baby I know —
The first cut is the deepest
'Cause when it comes to being lucky, she's cursed
When it comes to lovin' me, she's worse
But when it comes to being loved, she's first
That's how I know.

Cat Stevens

"Ahhh. A man with a sharp wit. Someone ought to take it away from him before he cuts himself."

Peter da Silva

I was cutting holes in tires this afternoon and I slipped with the box cutter and cut my right leg in the thigh above the knee. Initially I didn't think I cut my leg, merely bumped it, or the blade didn't cut through my pants or skin. All I felt was a bump when the box cutter and my hand hit my leg.

Then I saw a tear in my pants and seconds later a dark spot near the tear.

"That's not blood, is it?"

I took down my pants and sure enough it was a spot of blood. I had a short cut - probably a quarter to half inch. It looked deeper than long.

I guess if the blade is sharp enough to go through a tire it is sharp enough to go through my pants.

I went inside to clean the cut. It didn't really bleed, which was different as whenever I get a cut on my hand or finger the cut bleeds and bleeds.

"Now where is my antiseptic stuff?"

Now this is when a man needs a wife or girlfriend. Women are prepared to handle this type of stuff. It is nice to have a woman fret over an injury. I don't even mind when they chide me for doing something dumb to get the injury. It shows they care.

But no woman in my life so I had to find the antiseptic stuff and clean and bandage the cut myself. The skin pulled apart so it made the cut wider than typical for a short length. Odds are I will have another scar. I have lost count of them. And I have forgotten some of them, or how I got them. I need to get a girlfriend so she can spend a lazy day looking over my scars with me trying to remember how I got them and when.

I am amazed I didn't feel like I got cut. I still don't really. Not like when I cut my hands and fingers. The cut on my thigh feels more like a bruise.

Later I finished cutting holes in the tires. These are for my tomato plants. I cut holes so the tires won't collect water and breed mosquitoes. West Nile virus you know, in addition to mosquitoes just being annoying.

I had planned on attending a "Music in the Park" concert tonight, but this cut stopped that. By the time I cleaned it and then rested to let the blood harden, it was after the concert started.

This morning I planted some white radishes and basil for my garden. I also planted flowers around my well shed and along the west side of the house. I weeded the tulips. South of the house the tulip stalks are drying up. I still have some tulip flowers on the north side of the house.

I trapped a good sized gopher. That makes 50 for the year so far. I have trapped 38 pocket gophers. I restarted the line of traps from the north hayfield fence as the pocket gophers have spread back into the areas cleared last year and this Spring. They are not thick - yet, but they are there.

I also sprayed the weeds in the yard. This is my start as I have the pasture to spray. You may have noticed I haven't been writing about the Western Salisfy (Goats Beard) weeds. They are here; I just have not devoted exclusive time this year to pulling them out. I just pull the ones I see when checking traps. My goal is to spray them.

The group is planning to hike to Avalanche Lake in Glacier Park tomorrow. I have stuff to do, and I have hiked this trail many times, so I won't be going along.

Time. Time. Where does it go?
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
Groucho Marx (1890 - 1977)

No comments: