Sunday, June 17, 2007

Cattle in the middle

I let the cattle into the middle pasture this morning. First I wrapped the half dozen small trees I had placed boards near yesterday with wire to prevent (hopefully!) the cattle from eating them.

I also moved my gopher traps to the south and north pastures. I had only trapped one gopher overnight. The others are wary of the traps and use other holes, even unplugging them after I fill them with dirt.

A few nights ago one gopher got away from me. In the previous trap I found a half eaten gopher (food for the hawks) and in this trap I saw the trap and gopher among the snowberry bushes, which were very thick there. Assuming another dead gopher I pulled on the trap to pull it and the gopher out of the bushes. Somehow the gopher slipped out of the trap and started to run. By the time I got my shovel the gopher weaved through the bushes and found one of a number of holes he had made nearby. Gone. And since then he avoids the trap like the plague.

In the north pasture most of the previous cleared (of gophers) and covered holes are open again. *sigh* How many babies do females gophers have?! Lots I imagine!

The cattle were along the north fence when I opened the gate. A short time later one of Dan's heifers came over and it wasn't long after that part of the herd came too. Seeing the herd go through the gate brought the remainder of the herd running. You may think cattle are oblivious to you and others but they know exactly what is going on around them in their environment, even at a distance away from them.

The north pasture still has a fair amount of grass but from how the cattle attacked the grass of the middle pasture you'd think they were starving. New un-eatened grass must taste much better than the same old stuff.

I looked the cattle over as they slowly made their way around me while eating the middle pasture grass. They look good. The last batch of heifers Dan bought were in the low 500 lbs. Compared to many of the other cattle they look small. Some of cattle still have their rough winter fur, though I think they are losing more of it. It helps the cattle have trees to rub against.

I moved the salt blocks to the middle pasture and closed the gate. This will allow the north pasture to recover.

Then it was off to breakfast for me.

This afternoon the rain came. A light rain, but welcome nonetheless as the forecast is for dry weather and hot temperatures in the mid to upper 80s by mid week. The temperature today has been in the low to mid 50s all day. A cool damp day.

Since I couldn't do my planned activity of picking rocks (oh joy! - no wonder I haven't finished this task over the past two years ) from the NE pasture I worked on reducing my large stack of newspapers and magazines.

It has been an odd day as I seldom come into the house and have supper till after dark, which is after 10:30 pm. I feel as if I am wasting the day. I am inside and it is light outside.

No comments: