Thursday, June 28, 2007

Picnic in the park concert

Tuesday night I attended another Picnic in the Park concert. This concert was by Cocinando. They are a local group that plays Afro-Cuban jazz and tropical Latin dance music. I heard them before and they are pretty good.

The concert was from 7 to 9 pm. I had hoped to arrive before the concert started in order to get a good spot. When I arrive after the concert starts, because of my bicycle I end up in the back as I don't want to thread through the crowd to find a spot for me and my bicycle. It took longer than planned to check my pocket gopher traps so I didn't arrive until after the concert started. ...naturally.

When I got home I found out how much of a rush I had been to leave for the concert. I left my house door open. Not just unlocked, but open. Okay, the screen door was closed, but big deal, one could easily see the house door was open. I was gone over 3 hours but no one must have been here as nothing is missing.

At the concert I ended up standing at the back of the crowd against a building. It was not all bad as I could stand, sit, and lean against my bicycle and the building during the concert. Being in the back I was able to people watch during the concert. The music was not too loud. The downside was that people there to socialize and not just listen to the music were able to socialize and be distracting.

The band was good. Other than Santana's song of "Oye Como Va" as their closing song, the band played - unknown to me - traditional Afro-Cuban jazz and tropical Latin dance music. The music was good, but being on the jazzy and salsa side, somewhat mellow. The music may have been better suited for a nightclub than an outdoor venue like the park.

At the intermission they raffled off some prizes. One prize was 6 lbs of dog food.

There were lots of people at the concert. As it got later, the sun lower in the sky, and a little cooler, some people put on extra shirts or sweatshirts. And as usual, as time went on people started to drift away. Some people I can understand such as the ladies from an assisted living home out in their wheelchairs with attendant. One old lady as she passed by in her wheelchair commented I needed long legs to ride my bicycle.

A teenage boy walked by with his bicycle looking for a place for him and his girlfriend to sit with their bicycles. He had a very nice Cannondale racing bicycle. She was riding a green cruiser bicycle.

Here is a photo of the couple. I didn't think to take the photo until after they sat down. They left when I wasn't looking their way so I never got a photo of their bicycles when the bicycles were upright.

Early on a guy joined a couple sitting on lawn chairs next to me. This guy (in the white shirt and sunglasses) was a talker. Almost non-stop. The stereotype is women talk alot. Not compared to this guy. If he had a wife I am sure he would drive her crazy with all his talking. Talk, and talk, and talk. I wanted to just hear the music without a distraction of someone always talking.

At intermission they told the younger guy's wife they were going to walk down to Moose's to have a pitcher of beer. They may have had more than one pitcher as they didn't return until much later, well after the band started to play again. Thank heavens for small miracles.

Later four young kids sat down in the grass in front of me. One was a young couple and the other two didn't act like a couple and sat apart. Later they were joined by a third guy. The guys all talked animatedly while the girlfriend just wanted to sit against her boyfriend. The way he acted as she sat against him was somewhat of indifference. He was more into the conversation with the other two guys. She didn't seem to talk much.

The other girl, a brunette, occasionally would join in the conversation when she could. The guys seemed to be looking and talking with one another. This other girl isn't chopped liver. She had an extremely beautiful face. Hair, eyes, smile, skin complexion - she had it all. Why no boyfriend? And she had common sense as when it got cooler she got a light sweater out of her bag and put it on.

The guys had a certain attitude. By attitude I don't mean it in a bad way. I mean they seemed to be calm, confident, relaxed, and engaged. They actually seemed to be discussing things instead of just joking around. And there was no showing off for the girls. These guys seemed to be good friends and the world and the future was endless for them.

The girls seemed to be just content being around the guys even though the guys weren't showing them any special attention.

Ah, to be young again.



Before the kids arrived I had noticed a woman with two girls. No ring on her left hand - a single woman. Well! My Uncle Larry had emailed me after I missed the previous week's concert telling me I should have gone to the concert so I could have met women. And here was one.

For much of the concert this woman faced the band (naturally) so I couldn't get a look at her face. What I could see looked good as she had a nice figure and dressed nice. She was trim but from the look of her calves, I wondered how much physical activity she did. Probably not a whole lot of hiking if she was a single mom with responsibilities. Her kids seemed to be well behaved.



Now did I go talk to her, especially considering her kids left her alone for a while until they returned with something to drink? No. And yes, there was room for both me and my bicycle.

I did get a look at her face, and while she looked nice, and somewhat age appropriate for me, I don't know, something about her demeanor didn't seem inviting. She had a stern look to her. (Maybe that's why her kids were so well behaved?)

And you know, I am pretty happy right now as my life is pretty good. While all my prior girlfriends made my prior good life that much better, I am worried my luck will change with the next girlfriend. No one can bat a thousand, can they? I am really hesitant about getting a girlfriend. It's gonna take more than seeing an attractive single woman right now to get me to initiate contact.

The band ended right at 9 pm. The sun was still up. It was a nice evening so I rode a longer way home.

No comments: