Thursday, June 21, 2007

Picnic in the Park concert

I may have missed Tuesday evening's 'Picnic in the Park' concert, but I attended Wednesday's lunch hour 'Picnic in the Park' concert.

I wasn't on time - naturally. Funny how 11:30 am is early when one goes to bed at 3 am.

Today's concert was by a local band, The Can't Hardly Playboys. The band is three middle aged men who play delta blues and Americana on guitars.

When I first arrived they played 50s rock 'n roll, some Hank Williams country songs, a Taj Mahal song, and a Warren Zevon song, Carmelita. I liked the song, but the Zevon song choice surprised me due to it's lyrics. This concert was a city event at noon with families and kids.
I hear Mariachi static on my radio
And the tubes they glow in the dark
And I'm there with her in Ensenada
And I'm here in Echo Park

Carmelita hold me tighter
I think I'm sinking down
And I'm all strung out on heroin
On the outskirts of town

Well, I'm sittin' here playing solitaire
With my pearl-handled deck
The county won't give me no more methadone
And they cut off your welfare check

Carmelita hold me tighter
I think I'm sinking down
And I'm all strung out on heroin
On the outskirts of town

Well, I pawned my Smith Corona
And I went to meet my man
He hangs out down on Alvarado Street
By the Pioneer chicken stand

Carmelita hold me tighter
I think I'm sinking down
And I'm all strung out on heroin
On the outskirts of town

Carmelita hold me tighter
I think I'm sinking down
And I'm all strung out on heroin
On the outskirts of town
This is Americana?

As it got later, near 1 pm, people began to drift away to return to work. The early songs were underwhelming - where are the delta blues and Americana songs? Finally the last half dozen songs fit the Americana bill as one was from the early 1900s and another was from the Civil War time period. These songs were better and the band seemed to enjoy playing them more. I wished they would have played these types of songs for the whole concert.

There were more people than I expected for a Wednesday afternoon concert. The crowd was mainly moms and kids, kids from daycare, old people, people who looked to be from group homes, and some people who worked downtown and were on their lunch break. Plus odds and ends unemployed people with time on their hands like me.

In front of the gazebo where the band played the under 6 kids danced along with a few moms who danced with their very young kids. Most people sat in the shade of the trees on the grass or on chairs they had brought.

I leaned on my bicycle until later when people started to leave. Then I sat down on a bench. A young kid would run over and over between a woman running the soundboard to my right and some people to my left. Each time the little boy ran he would wave his arms like a windmill. Annoying. I should have stuck out my foot and tripped him.

A few food vendors were there and the ice cream vendor did good business on this hot 80 degree day.

A couple teenage girls were there hardly dressed, but as I saw no teenage guys I think they left after getting something to eat. This was good as they were too distracting and too young.

A few women on their lunch break from work looked nice in their dresses and heels.

The Kalispell mayor showed up later. She seemed a tad over dressed for a casual event with some sort of accessory over her shoulders. She is an older lady, but what struck me was she hardly had any curves, or waist. She seemed to have a straight line from her shoulder to her hips. Not appealing to look at, and naturally she eventually sat down between me and the band so it was hard to avoid looking her way.

Hmmm... here I am praising the women in dresses on their lunch break and not the mayor. I suppose it is not fair to the mayor, but I liked the other women's dresses and not the mayor's outfit.

I saw another younger woman who looked to be a weightlifter. In shorts, she didn't look terribly overweight, but the more she walked the more I noticed she was overweight in a muscular way. She walked like a male weightlifter. Not good. But then I've noticed lately that many women don't have a feminine walk. There is no pleasure in watching them walk.


On the way home I stopped to talk to Bob who was sitting on his lawn in the shade. Today is his birthday. To keep warmth around his tomato plants he placed plastic jugs of water. Safer than cutting old tires.

I lost another pair of sunglasses today. This was the same pair I lost before then found. I lost the sunglasses sometime when I was checking my gopher traps. I have no idea where the sunglasses could be. I rechecked around the traps in the north pasture to no avail. Man, my biggest pet peeve: losing stuff. I'm not a happy camper.

I also got the fruit tree & garden area sprayed for weeds and also half the NE pasture. See, even if I stay up late and get up late I still get some stuff done.

No comments: