Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Started planting

Finally. Finally I started to plant my garden. Better late than never?

Now with all Spring to get ready you'd think I'd make sure I had all my garden seeds, wouldn't you? Wrong! I was out of corn and peas.

I planted what seeds I had and found I needed more carrot and bean seeds.

Now in past years Walmart sent their seeds back to the warehouse by the end of May as Walmart is headquartered in Arkansas where the planting season starts and ends earlier than here in the north. To my surprise they still had their seed display out this year. I imagined I would have to do like other years and pull the seeds out of their hands as the employees are counting the unsold packages before sending them back. However of the seeds I needed, they only had the beans.

A trip to Shopko and I found corn and carrots, but again no peas. What's up with peas?

At Home Depot I found peas - and they were on sale.

I was glad to get the seeds I needed, but still I had to drive all over town looking for them.

I got all my seeds planted: radish, lettuce, onions, green onions, beets, beans, carrots, parsnip, peas, and corn.

And watered. The watering took a while as I ran the water slow so as not to wash the dirt around and mix up the seeds. Even though I pack the dirt after planting the seeds, in past years I found the seeds migrated after watering to clump together in spots and then have gaps elsewhere.

Tomorrow after my hike I'll transplant the plants I had started indoors. I was glad I didn't transplant them yesterday as last night our overnight low was 34 degrees. A little too cold for newly transplanted plants. Tonight is suppose to have another overnight low in the 30s. I didn't get up early enough this morning, but I doubt we had frost.

No comments: