Friday, September 01, 2023

Cutting Jan's trees

Today I chainsawed Jan's fallen Aspen tree.  The large tree blew/fell over earlier this Summer.   Jan was going to have Curtis cut up the tree so he could have the wood for his stove.  But Curtis kept putting it off as he wasn't interested in cutting the tree or needed the wood.  So, in exchange for Curtis welding my irrigation pipe's riser as he didn't want money from me as payment, he had me cut up the tree so he didn't have to.  I had no problem doing so.

It was a very tall tree that had split a little above ground level and had grown into two large trunks.  It also had all of its side branches on it.  I cut off all the branches and cut the trunks into pieces that would fit in a woodstove.

Jan has a line of evergreen trees growing right next to each other.  I then started cutting the lower branches that had died due lack of sunlight.  Until Jan had me stop.   Then we noticed she had a dead evergreen tree growing right next to another evergreen tree still alive.  I cut that tree.  First I cut a lot of its branches as I went up a ladder.  Then, as I was almost halfway up, I started cutting through the trunk.  But not completely.  The tree leaned slightly toward the fence and the neighbor's property.  I started to cut the trunk so it would fall on Jan's property.  Due to the other tree's branches I didn't trust that instead of falling to the side, the trunk may fall straight down, potentially on me and/or the ladder. 

Jan's granddaughter got me a rope and I pulled the top /cut part my way and onto Jan's property.  I was right about the other trees' branches as the cut trunk went sideways a little bit, then straight down.  So it all worked out.

Jan didn't want me to keep cutting other trees, but she did make exceptions for three branches that had broken but did not come down in her other line of evergreen trees.  She thought I could pull them down.  Nope.  They were still partially attached.  So she relented and let me climb the ladder to cut them off the trees.  And I did cut some other dead branches so I have a place to put the ladder, and other dead branches nearby until Jan had me stop.  She and her granddaughter had plenty of branches to gather for their burn pile of branches and they didn't want anymore.

No photos as I forgot to bring my camera.

No comments: