Friday, September 08, 2023

More well pump work

A little more well pump work today.  There may have been some minor leakage between the two pump pieces, so I tightened the bolts a little more.  

The annoying leakage I had today was on the black plastic pipe exiting the pump.  That didn't leak before.  But to remove the pump the handful of times I had to disconnect the pump from the pipe.  A ribbed metal fitting slips into the pipe and the clamp tightens the pipe to the fitting.  Well... it was leaking at the far end where I had disconnected and connected the pump to the pipe.  I tried tightening the clamp but that didn't stop the leak.  So I disconnected the pump from the pipe and added some thread sealant to the ribbed fitting.  That made the leakage worse.  Of course, me trying to fix things made it worse.

I checked my odd-and-ends pile of pipes and found a union and a few pieces of this sized pipe.  Why didn't I use this before?  Who knows.  Before trying to use these pipe pieces I talked with Curtis.  He suggested heating the plastic pipe and then tighten the clamp.  Heating would soften the plastic pipe allowing for a tighter fit.  I tried that and it seemed to work. 

Did it work a 100%?  I'll check tomorrow.  Today it rained a little off-and-on and things weren't drying due to the humidity.  

No comments: