Saturday, September 09, 2023

My cattle are Divas

My cattle... my cattle... my cattle.    My, my.

This afternoon I up righted the cattle's salt feeder in the north pasture.  Even the metal posts couldn't keep the feeder upright.  It must have taken some effort to flip the feeder.  Haynes most likely.


The cattle watched me.  I then thought I would let them go into the NE pasture as they were standing by the gate.  Let them have a treat.



They behaved.   Several hours later I checked for fallen apples from the fruit tree area's apple tree.   The cattle came and stood at the fence and begged for apples.  I gave the apples to them.  I had thought of mowing the grass under the apple tree so I could find the apples easier.  But since the cattle were behaving I decided to let them into the fruit tree area to eat the grass down so I wouldn't have to mow it.



The cattle mostly behaved.  Some got obsessed with the pear tree and the apple tree.   Most of the pear tree's branches and pears are behind a tall fence.  But some branches hung over the fence.  Initially I tried to get these cattle back to eating grass.  But these cattle were obsessed.  Finally I let them be.  The pear tree has lots and lots of pears.  What's a loss of a dozen or so to the cattle?  Especially since Haynes the bull joined the group going for the pears.


You can see in the background some of the cows were trying to go for the apples on that tree.



The calves were behaving.  This is the youngest calf.



After a bit all the cattle settled down to chew their cud.   I went off on a bicycle ride.  When I came back home everything was fine.  I went and picked up apples to fill a bag from the neighbor's tree. When I returned a few of the cattle were in the fruit tree area and I gave them some of the apples.  I gave the rest to some of the cattle in the NE pasture.  The rest of the cattle had gone to the north pasture.

Since everyone was behaving I went out to the middle pasture to fix that salt feeder.  While out there, after a while, I heard the cattle mooing back in the NE pasture and fruit tree area.   When I got back home I found over half the cattle in the yard.  The cattle had broken part of the fence between the fruit tree area and the yard. A large section of the fence is down.  It was getting dark so I didn't get a good look at the downed fence.

Haynes and one cow were eating apples on my porch.  The other cattle were around the yard.  The mooing cattle were at the NE pasture gate watching the cattle in the yard.  They hadn't seen how these cattle got into the yard.

I closed the gate between the NE pasture and north pasture so I didn't have to deal with those cattle for now.  I opened the gate to the corral to herd the yard cattle there.  Initially Haynes didn't want to leave the apples so I let him be and herded the cattle from the front yard. When those cattle ran by Haynes he then ran and joined them.  I got all into the corral.

For now I don't want the cattle to be in the corral; but they wanted to stay there and eat all the tall weeds growing there.  With some effort I got them all out of the corral and into the north pasture.  I then herded the cattle from the NE pasture to the north pasture.   They all can stay there tonight.   Today I let the cattle have a little treat and they took advantage of it.  Now I have more work to do tomorrow.

Haynes' work.

No comments: