Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Cattle into Ruth's field

Last night, in the middle of the night while I was sleeping, I was woken up by cows or calves mooing.  Odd.  The middle of the night?  For a short while, then nothing.  But I was woken up several different times by mooing.   No moon outside so it was dark.  The mooing sounded like it was coming from the pastures.  Maybe a calf or cow calling for one another as it was time to feed.  I have noticed this Summer when trapping gophers in the south pasture some calves would moo for their mother to come to them instead of walking around looking for their mothers.  The calves eventually would have to walk to find their mother.

No mooing when I got up later.

Maybe it is time for the cattle to visit Ruth's field again.  I checked Ruth's field and there was grass for the cattle to eat.  I prepared the field for the cattle to come visit.  Then I got a couple bags of apples for the cattle to eat.  Half the cattle where in the middle pasture and the other half in the north pasture.    I went to the middle pasture and gave apples from one bag for the cattle to eat.  The north cattle were taking their time. and not coming.  Unusual.  Then I looked over and saw the middle/north pasture gate was closed.  I looked closer and saw a log and former tree stump were against the gate keeping it closed.

I keep some logs next to the gate.  Three stacks of logs.  There was also a single log in a fourth stack.  A couple days ago I took that log home and split it for firewood this Winter.  Otherwise the cattle - Haynes most likely - would push this log around the pasture.  Haynes must not have liked me taking that log away.  So he pushed the gate shut, then a few items against the gate.  He also knocked over one of the stacks of logs.



I moved the logs.  Restacked them.  Then opened the gate.  The cattle came.   I'm sure this is why there was mooing last night.  A cow/calf pair were split by the closed gate.

I gave all the cattle apples from the second bag.   Then I walked into the south pasture.  Panda and cow 110 followed me.  Then the rest of the cattle started to follow us also.  Panda and 110 knew something was up.    As I got near the south pasture hayfield gate Panda and 110 sped up.  When I walked past this gate Panda and 110 ran to the corner gate to the hayfield.   This gate is also to Ruth's field.  Panda and 110 were certain I was going to open that gate.  And I did.  They were the first through the gate and into Ruth's field.  The other cattle came quickly.  A cow calf pair who had been drinking, and were left behind, all of a sudden came running.  The calf can drink later.  They didn't want to miss out once they saw the rest of the cattle go into Ruth's field.  This is them in photos below.


Into Ruth's field.



These cows were obsessed with this pile of dead branches.


It looks like they have grass to eat for a few days.   Then the mooing will begin again.

No comments: