Monday, September 04, 2023

Bicycle chain ring replaced

I ride my bicycle a lot.  But the metal now-a-days is alloy and not just steel. Alloy may be lighter but it doesn't last as long a metal.  I last had to replace the front chainring on March 2022.  The ring should last long than a little over two years.  But that's how it is these days.

It should be easy to replace the chainring, but of course, for me it wasn't.  That tool to get the chainring and pedal arm off the bicycle wouldn't work.  It looks like the threads were getting stripped as the pedal arm didn't want to move.  It had to use a hammer and metal center punch tool to finally knock the pedal arm and chainring off the bicycle.  Then I used an allen wrench to take each ring off the pedal arm.  Of course, one of the bolts didn't want to turn and it took an effort to remove.

Finally got the new chainring installed.  I also planned, since I was getting dirty from the chainring grease/oil, to replace the rear freewheel and the chain.  I found I had only an extra rear freewheel, but no extra chain.  So these two items will have to be replaced another day.  For now, now that the chainring was replaced, most of the chain slippage is gone.

Old chainring.  See the 'shark teeth'?  Below is how the teeth should look.

The newly installed chainring.  You can also see in the center where I had to use the center punch tool to knock the arm off the bicycle.

No comments: