Saturday, September 16, 2023

Mushrooms, weeds, apples, cattle

Busy day.    I got apples from a different person.  They had an apple tree in their backyard.  Over their duck and quail pens.  What didn't fall through the netting/fence wire, we bounced off the netting/fence wire.  I got 4 bags of apples for the cattle.  I gave them all to the cattle as Ruth's field's green grass had gotten eaten down, and I didn't want to haul them on my bicycle all the way home as this was four trips to haul the bags of apples.  While there is still grass to eat in her field, it is drier and work for the cattle to eat.  The cattle wanted something new.  In the evening I let the cattle out of Ruth's field and back into the pasture.

Ruth's field

I got a bag of apples from Ruth's granddaughter's tree.  When gathering the apples I hit my head on a large tree branch. It knocked me on my rear end.  I wonder if it dented the plate in my forehead.  I didn't lose consciousness, but it hurt.  People tell me I should wear a helmet when I ride my bicycle.  No, I should wear a helmet when walking and doing work.  I'm safer on my bicycle.

I spent the afternoon spraying weeds.  I had started spraying last night with a half tank of herbicide.  Today I spent 3 hours 20 minutes spraying one tank of herbicide. Usually a tank takes 45 minutes to an hour and half depending on the thickness (amount) of weeds.   I have covered part of the land across the road that has bull and Canada thistle, my yard, the corral, the NE pasture, and over 90% of the north pasture.  Other than the land across the road, the rest I had sprayed last year before I had to switch to other jobs and the spraying ended.   So the areas I sprayed didn't have lots of weeds.  I covered more ground today on a tank of herbicide, but it took longer as I had to walk more and sometimes slower to find weeds to spray. I was tired when done spraying today.  Lots of walking nonstop.

I also saw several areas of mushrooms.  Not sure what's up this year as mushrooms, especially this size of mushrooms, are not common to see in the pastures.  I don't know what type of mushrooms these are.  Most likely poisonous.



No comments: