Thursday, September 21, 2023

Corral fence pipe repair, chainsaw, weed spraying

Today I finished the pipe repair on the corral fence.   First off I drilled holes in the installed pipe to fasten it to the metal support pieces on two railroad ties.  That way the cattle won't be able to slide the pipe sideways like they have done in the past.


Then I found the pipe for the last sections of the fence.  This pipe was broken off the fence a few years ago and really bent.  Also, part of the pipe was broken off from the rest of the pipe and made it shorter.  I couldn't attach another pipe to this pipe, so I found a larger pipe for the length I need and slid into it the pipe I already had put on the fence, and this new section of pipe.


I also had to straighten - as best I could - the bent pipe.  I put the pipe under a metal gate and then pushed or pulled the pipe as best I could.  It is relatively straight now.  Not perfect, but straight enough for what I need.


Then on to nailing/screwing some metal pieces to the railroad ties to support the pipe.  To better protect the pipes from the cattle I also nailed some boards below and on top of and outside of the pipes.



Then for the larger pipe that "connects" the pipes, I drilled and put in screws on each end of the larger pipe so the cattle won't slide the larger pipe and it come off.



My repaired pipe fence.


I also had gotten my chainsaw back from the repair shop.  After cutting Jan's tree a few weeks ago, the same day, I wanted to cut some branches from my pile of broken branches.  But the chainsaw didn't want to run.  It ran a half hour earlier when I cut Jan's tree.  I tried this and I tried that.  I replaced the spark plug.  Finally I took it into a repair shop.  To get the chainsaw to run they replaced the carburetor and the throttle.  A few days ago I ran the chainsaw to test it.  A short test went over a half hour until I ran out of gas.  I couldn't stop cutting the branches in the pile.  The next day I gathered the branches in four wheelbarrow loads and hauled them to my pile for firewood this Winter.  I have lots of branches left in the pile of branches, but cutting them and using them will wait until another time as I have already enough wood for my woodstove this Winter.

I'm still spraying weeds.  I now am a third of the way into the south pasture.  Every day two to three hours of spraying.  It's working as I see weeds wilting that I sprayed a few days ago.

No comments: