Thursday, May 31, 2012

Removed brick from over the door

I had planned on handling this after the bathroom was done, but I was running out of sheet rock joint compound (mud) and got the idea to do it now before the compound was gone.   I had gone through almost all of my 48 lb box of mud.  When I visited my brother this past Winter we tossed out a partial box of mud from when I mudded mom's house three years ago after she died.  Now I wished I had saved that box and brought it to Montana.

Initially I thought I may have enough mud to seal the joint from above the doorway so I decided to replace the brick with sheet rock.  After I was done and began mudding again I found out I was nowhere close to having enough mud to finish everything.  I had to go and buy another box of sheet rock compound.  For sure I will have a a lot left over.  Darn.

Anyway, here are the photos from my doorway work.

Photo 1 is before anything was started on the bathroom.
Photo 2 is today's look.  Yes, the double oven and small electric heater next to it are gone and a pantry is roughed in.  And Snow White and the swinging door have been banished by Tammy.


Ah, yes.  Fake brick. After 47 years it has outlived its usefulness.  But not all of it is going (now).  On the left side (with the gold circle decoration covering a hole) is the backside of the fireplace chimney.  The fake brick will remain here for now as I want to try to limit the current remodel to the bathroom and its immediate outside wall.

But where to end the brick?  Initially I left it above the doorway.  But as I was mudding the pantry wall I took another look.  Ending the brick above the doorway doesn't look good.  I was back in the demolition business.



As usual during this remodel I found two 1" by 6" boards under the brick. Very old and dry wood as I believe this was wood from the original 1941 build. They were even with the door sill so they had to go so I could replace them with sheet rock.  I carefully cut the boards and removed them.  I was careful as the boards also went behind the remaining brick by 1 1/2 inches.

I was also careful so as not to repeat the mistake back when we removed the wall around the double oven.  There were two 2 by 4 boards at the top of the wall and Curt said to cut the bottom one.  I did.  Then we found that board was the top of the wall frame.  The 2 by 4 on top of that one was an extra board the ceiling wood met up to.  Ooops.



The opening, and the backside of the boards on the other side of the door way.  The 2 by 4 at the top is the continuation of the 2 by 4 we mistakenly cut earlier from the double oven part of the wall.   If we hadn't cut that section of the 2 by 4 maybe the new pantry wall would have lined up better.

I'm not sure why the previous builder had a piece of cardboard attached to the stud.


My problem was the board that is the top of the door sill stuck an inch past the stud. The boards I had removed were true one inch thick boards. (Just as the 2 x 4s in the old house are true 2 inch by 4 inch boards.)

And... the pantry wall that Curt and Larry built to replace the former oven wall stuck out an additional quarter of an inch past the doorway sill.  The new wall was not even with the sill, nor was it a half inch beyond the sill to account for sheet rock, but a quarter inch beyond.  *sigh*  Nothing is ever easy.

And I had only one piece of half inch sheet rock left.  I know I had said that about the bathroom window, but that was a larger size.

How do I make everything even, especially when I have two sizes (1 inch and 1 1/4 inch) to handle?

First I solved the inch problem when I found a half inch size board from my scrap wood pile.  That, and the half inch sheet rock, solved the 1 inch door sill problem.



Now... what to do about my final quarter inch problem?  Well... this is why one doesn't throw all the old wood away.  The original bathroom sheet rock was a quarter inch thick.  A couple of the larger pieces I had carefully removed were still usable.  From one of those pieces I was able to cut a piece I needed. 

Ta da!    (when its all painted it will look better).


I know they don't look even but that may be because one piece of sheet rock is painted and the other is not.

Of course this design problem solving took me some time so don't get on my case as to why I'm not done with the bathroom yet. 


A bonus photo.  The wood and nail may be 71 years old, but - look! - no rust on the nail.  The nail looks as new as the day it was pounded into the board.


No comments: