Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Bathroom window

"She Came In Through The Bathroom Window"

That ain't going to happen at my place.  My bathroom window is history.

Years ago the bathroom used to be in the corner of the house.  Then the mud room and the bedrooms were added and the bathroom became an interior room.   The window now was to the master bedroom.  I didn't mind as the glass couldn't be seen through and the window provided natural light into the bathroom.  Other people, including Tammy, weren't thrilled with a bathroom window to the bedroom.

So the bathroom window went by the wayside.  Here are views before and after.




The 1" by 10" layer of boards around the window has been removed.  But the other walls give you an idea of what the wood looked like.


The same wall today:

No window.   :-(


On the bedroom side this is what I had to deal with.

From right to left:
  • stud
  • A one inch board
  • Quarter inch sheet rock
  • A thin (1/8 inch) layer of plaster
  • bedroom wall


This all added up to a little over an inch and a quarter to the studs.  My new sheet rock was a half inch thick.   I needed the new sheet rock to align evenly with the old sheet rock making up the rest of the wall.

I also had to frame the window opening so I could nail the edges of my sheet rock.  Apparently when Curt and Larry cut out the old window that frame went with the window.


I build my frame against the old studs and placed the frame so it was a half inch from the edge of the old sheet rock.


I had only one piece left of sheet rock this size and I measured many times before and while cutting it.  The opening was roughly 27 inches by 34 inches.  The sheet rock piece before I cut it was 28 inches by 39 inches.  So I barely had one piece that would fit.




I still have to sand the mud and put a final coat of mud on the wall as the lower left side is still not completely flush.

No comments: