Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Water trough hole

After I got my cattle I discovered the water trough I had filled when they arrived, was dry the next morning.  I was surprised but I thought it may have been because the cattle were thirsty after their busy day at the auction.  I refilled the water trough.

The next morning the water trough was dry again.  Hmmm.... something is going on here.  Two days in a row is not a coincidence.

I put water in the water trough and then checked underneath it.  I found a good sized leak.  I have some rust spots in the trough, and apparently a combination of standing and rusting over Winter and my using a wire brush to clean the tank this Spring before the cattle arrived, wore the rust spot so thin that once the trough was filled the water weigh completed the hole.

Good thing I have a second water trough as I filled that with water and then emptied the trough with the hole and dried it out.  I have some leftover JB-weld and used that to patch the hole.  It appears to have sealed the hole, which is a good thing as I really like my unique old fashioned water trough.

Before and after photos:



No comments: