Friday, May 25, 2012

Broken tailgate

After returning from my tree stumps' wood pile I discovered my pickup's tailgate was broken.  I couldn't open it.  I finally figured out that one of levers was broken.  The green plastic piece on the right wouldn't stay in its hole for the lever to work.  The area is so small I couldn't see how the red one was attached or how the green one wouldn't stay attached.  I took a little wire and wrapped the green plastic piece and the rod to the lever and it works now.  Prior to my fix I had to put the green plastic piece in the hole each time I wanted to open the tailgate.  I have no idea why the green piece broke.

If it not one thing, its another.  Last year I had to replace the black plastic piece (not shown as I had to take it off to find the broken green piece) that fits in the hole as several of its tabs were broken.  The salvage yard I bought another piece from said it was not unusual for these black plastic covers to break on Chevy Silverado pickups.



No comments: