Friday, May 25, 2012

Recycling my bathroom

Thursday I took my bathtub and double oven to Pacific Steel and Recycling.  The bathtub was cast iron and very heavy.  Well, for that matter so was the double oven.

I am not sure of the exact breakdown as they didn't give me a receipt with the numbers.  I remember the two weights: 260 lbs and 380 lbs.  I'm not sure which weight was for the iron or the metal.  I think the prices were 6 cents and 8 cents with the higher price for the cast iron.

In addition to the tub and oven I also tossed in some miscellaneous metal items I planned on getting rid of.  I did a quick search around the yard and tool shed and found more metal and iron.  I even took the wheel and seat off an old Schwinn exercise bicycle and recycled the bicycle.

Because I had a mix of metal and iron he planned on averaging the weight.  Instead I offered to unload the metal and re-weigh the pickup, then unload the iron and re-weigh the pickup.

I unloaded the double oven under the large crane in back of the yard.  Then the rest of the metal elsewhere.  I was leery about driving in the muddy yard as there was crap everywhere.  I hope I don't get a flat tire.

I made $47.40 for my troubles.  It is about time I got some money out of my bathroom instead of putting money into it!

Most of my old bathtub and sink.

I didn't have my Uncle Larry to help me again with the double oven and I had to get it into the pickup bed myself.


Most of what I took to the recycling place.  I did find a few more items after I took this photo.

I hadn't figured out my fix for the broken tailgate lever so I had to put the broken piece in the lever each time I wanted to open the tailgate.

No comments: