Friday, August 01, 2008

Hucks, deer, hike

What an early morning! I got up before 5 am after 5 hours sleep and after 6 am I met Joyce, her daughter, and daughter-in-law to go huckleberry picking. We went to the exact same place Joyce and I picked before and started up where we had left off.

Another cool morning but a beautiful day to be picking hucks on the side of a mountain. We stopped picking before noon. I had picked around a gallon of berries. Joyce naturally picked more, though not quite twice what I had picked. Her daughter and daughter-in-law each picked a gallon and a quart. I tried picking with two hands, but found I would pick with one hand then the other and not both hands simultaneously. Us guys have trouble multi-tasking.

I was dragging much of the rest of the day. When visiting with Bob and Jan later afternoon I started to fall asleep. I took a nap before checking my gopher traps in the evening. As I went into the north pasture I saw six or seven deer out in my hayfield.

Hey! That grass and alfalfa is for my cattle!

Darn deer.

As I returned to my house after checking the traps I saw two bucks with antlers hop the fence into my garden and fruit tree area. I ran over there and it wasn't until I entered my garden and fruit tree area that the deer ran off and crossed the road. They then stood and watched me not believing someone would chase them out of the garden and fruit tree area. Finally they went away after they decided I wasn't leaving.

Well, I'd write more but I have to get to bed. I have a hike tomorrow. At least the meeting time is more reasonable: 8 am. If I go to bed now I will get more than 5 hours sleep this time. Man, I must be getting old. It is getting harder to operate on just 5 hours sleep.

No comments: