Thursday, August 28, 2008

Stair lift removal

My brother and I removed the stair lift we had installed for mom this past Spring. It is nice to have use of the full width of the stairs again. We had gotten the stair lift from the North Dakota Association for the Disabled. They weren't too enthused to get the stair lift back as it had taken them a long time to get rid of it. They asked me if I knew of anyone who would want it. No. So they reluctantly took it back.

The stair lift is very heavy due to the beam on which the chair travels. My brother and I were careful in un-attaching the lift from the stairs and moving into his pickup for transport to the Association's building. We made it before they closed for the day and did not smash our fingers or feet.

The problem is there are now three 5" by 3" rectangles where the carpet was cut out to attach the mounting brackets to the stair steps. Those carpet patches were used to add to the carpet to cover the area where the bathroom door was widened. My brother and I stopped at a couple carpet stores and asked if they has some small odd small pieces they were planning to toss. They only had large sample squares for $1 each. The carpet we needed to match was lime green 1970s shag carpet. I know... near impossible to match. But I was interested in something I could use temporarily. Nope, they had nothing close to matching.

Eventually I would like to remove the carpeting and just have the wood steps as the wood appears to be nice - at least on the steps. I don't know about the landing's wood. But that project is further down the list of things to do.

4 comments:

Dave said...

My condolences on the passing of your mom. I've been reading your blog for awhile but haven't checked it in about a week. Hope you and your family are doing as well as can be expected.

Tall Pines said...

Thanks.

Carolyn White said...

I have been reading your blog for a long time and didn't know if it would be appropriate to leave a comment - but I was really sorry when I read about your mother's passing. Your blog makes everything seem so real and personal. Thank you for sharing.

Tall Pines said...

No problem about leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing feedback. Many friends and family, part of the reason I write this blog is to keep them informed, send me their feedback via email. I am glad others find my ramblings interesting.

Thanks for your comment and sympathy about my mother's passing.