Monday, August 11, 2008

Picnic Music: Cocinando

Back on Tuesday night, July 22, the band at the Picnic in the Park concert was Cocinando, who play Latin jazz.

For once I got to the concert before it started. That turned out to be good as I discovered that there was also an ice cream social going on with free ice cream. I got huckleberry ice cream.

This time Cocinando was joined by a special guest player from out of state, Bobby Matos. The band played a few of his songs and he talked about them. That guy sure liked to talk. Someone near me muttered he should shut up and play the music.

Near to me was a small group sitting and laying on a blanket. Kids to young adults to adults. At one point the group sang "Happy Birthday" to one of the kids while gathered around a cupcake with a candle. Later during intermission the leader of Cocinando came over and then I noticed one of the women in the group was wearing a shirt with his name on it. It appears he is running for a seat in the Montana legislature.

With the group was a woman who looked 40-something. She was somewhat attractive. She was dressed stylish and young, in the manner where her appearance was important to her. She did seem to be kind of an airhead. When the band leader had stopped by to talk with the woman who was wearing his shirt, the 40-something woman interrupted several times to tell him it was her birthday today, and only stopped when he acknowledged her. She also told him her name was Julie.

Later before ending the concert early due to the weather he mentioned it was Julie's birthday and that the band would sing her the "Happy Birthday" song if she came up to the stage and danced while they sang the song. I think she went up there but by this time the weather and wind was getting worse so I didn't see Julie dance as I was in the back of the audience getting my bicycle ready for leaving.

The band tried to soldier on but the wind made it hard for them to play and it was also whistling into the microphone. So the concert ended 20 minutes early.

As I rode home it began to rain. Colleen wasn't at the concert this night to give me a ride home. Fortunately it didn't rain too hard. I was pretty wet when I got home but I wasn't soaked.

Bobby Matos is the guy in the hat.



During the concert the tent was set up over the soundboard. The sound man is holding onto the tent to keep it from blowing over.

No comments: