Sunday, August 31, 2008

Neighbor's birthday

Saturday my mom's neighbor had a birthday celebration that my brother and I attended. Bob, the man who had a stroke and was in Manor Care last winter the same time as my mother, had his 81st birthday today.

His wife had friends and family over for some food and cake and ice cream. The birthday party was held on their driveway. The temperature was 96 F today but in the shade it didn't feel too bad. I can't complain about the heat as the forecast high temperatures Monday and Tuesday are predicted only to be in the upper 50s.

Even though mom lived here for almost 30 years and I stayed here off and on, for some of the long time neighbors, this was the first time I met their now adult - but younger than me - children.

Bob's presents included toys and games to help him exercise his weak arm. One gift was a toy that one would give their three or four year old to play with. One neighbor family also gave him a homemade certificate promising him a "desert of the week" for the next three months.

Earlier, while looking for photos of my mom, I found photos from my brother's high school graduation party that the neighbors had attended. I brought the photos to the party and we all marveled on how we looked 25 years ago.

Bob had gotten tuckered out by the end and went inside for a nap. A stroke is a rough thing on a person and their loved ones as it can not only affect their strength ands mobility, but also their mind and cause them to easily get confused. Bob enjoyed his celebration even if sometimes he seemed a little lost.

Other than when singing "Happy Birthday" the party seemed to have people in separate groups. I noticed that the party guests had different approaches to mingling. Many people stayed in one area and mainly spoke with people nearby. Others, like me, occasionally moved around and chatted with a number of people. I'm not sure which way was better as some people never seemed to interact with some, while my interactions may not have been all that deep with a number of people. When many people left the party, if they were not nearby, I did not notice till after they had gone as they just seemed to slip away.

One man, who liked to talk and was jovial, had the irritating habit of occasionally taking a dig at his wife. He tried to be humorous about it, and maybe it was true, but it seemed inappropriate. I'm sure it had to hurt a little for her to hear it even though she 'grinned and bared' it. I've never been married and in a real long relationship, so maybe after a while it is hard not to make a comment about one of one's partner's weaknesses. I just don't care to hear it. For me, what I remember is his attitude and not her failings.

No comments: