Saturday, August 09, 2008

Big boom in the night

My computer use ended suddenly last night after the power went out after a loud boom. A very close loud boom. The forecast had called for a chance of thunderstorms because of monsoonal moisture from down south. Before the loud boom there were no signs of an approaching thunderstorm: no rumbling, no thunder, no lightning, nothing.

The lights went out all over the area except one or two lights far off in the distance. I went outside and saw lightning over the SW mountains west of Flathead Lake. The lightning was a combination of big lightning bolts and heat lightning. Lots of it. Fun to watch as it lit up the mountains. It was far enough away there was no sound from the lightning.

No other loud booms occurred before I went to bed. I could see some of the lights coming back on in the distance, but the power in my area remained out. It came on sometime during the night.

I was on the computer when the power went out and was concerned the power outage may have affected my computer, but things are working this morning. *whew*

During the night I woke up to wind, some thunder, and lightning. But no rain. It is so dry what rain there was must have evaporated before it reached the ground. I haven't heard the news, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few fires were started from the lightning as everything is very dry here.

This morning there was a very brief shower as I checked my gopher traps. Only enough rain to wet the pavement. Better than nothing, but nowhere near enough. It is dry here and the grass is drying up fast.

When I looked out on the cattle at 6 am I saw them sitting and resting under a tree near the hayfield fence. Two deer were in the hayfield across the fence from the cattle. Those evil deer were teasing the cattle.

Before breakfast I picked two small cool whip containers of raspberries. This year I am eating them instead of last year where I got distracted and the raspberries dried up.

No comments: