Friday, July 19, 2024

Donna's well pump failure

Donna had a well pump failure.  Yesterday her son-in-law replaced a switch that had failed.   By evening the well pump failed again.  This morning a well service guy - the same one who fixed and replaced Jan's failed well pump a few weeks ago - investigated and learned the submersible well pump was failing.  The pump's failure blew the fuses which then affected the switch.  Time for a new pump.  The old pump was 34 years old.

To get to the well and pump some shrubbery needed to be removed.  I was uptown getting groceries when Donna called.  I don't have a cell phone.  While at the grocery store I met Gary, a guy I used to hike with many years ago, who had moved to Utah years ago.  It was a surprise to see him as I hadn't seen him in years.  So we had a long conversation.

By the time I got home, got the phone message, and got to Donna's with my chainsaw, time had passed.  Her sister Jane and John - brother-in-law - were there working to remove shrubbery before the well guy returned with the new pump.  John's chainsaw wouldn't start so he was using a small electric chainsaw to chip away at the shrubbery.  I got my chainsaw started and cut away to find the well pipe.

I was done cutting and taking a rest when the well guy returned.  I had cut a large enough area so he could get his truck up close to help with his work to remove the bad submersible pump and pipe and then install a new pump and pipe.  He also put new wiring in as the old wiring was also 34+ years old.

Donna has water again.

On the left - after I had cut and before I hand removed all of the cut shrubbery.  On the right, the cleared area.



The overall shrubbery that grew up around the well pipe and pump house in the 34 years.


I loaded some of the shrubbery to haul it to my pile of dead branches.



The remaining shrubbery to haul another day.



The well guy's truck.

No comments: