Thursday, July 04, 2024

Baler not fixed

Today Curtis and I worked on fixing my baler.  The roller has a rod / shaft that goes inside it.  When I picked up the roller the John Deere parts person said I also needed a shaft so he ordered one.  This morning Curtis and I looked at the shaft in my broken roller.  He cut the broken roller in two pieces and we pulled the roller apart and got the shaft out of it.  The shaft look okay.  We then slid the shaft into the new roller.  It took a little effort as the shaft was a tight fit but we got it inside the roller.  Yay.  Something went right for once.  And I saved $532.
The shaft before I completely slid it into the roller.


On each end of the roller is a cap to keep the dust and dirt out from inside the roller.  I found a cap on one end of the broken roller.   But no cap on the other end of the roller.  What?  Where is it?  We looked all around where we had worked.  No cap.  I looked around the baler.  I looked around where I had carried the broken roller.  No cap.   When I took the broken roller to John Deere to compare it to the second roller they ordered to make sure it was correct I put the broken roller in my pickup.  The roller had rolled around the pickup as I drove and turned corners.  I looked in the pickup and around the pickup.  No cap.

I didn't want to go back to John Deere.  I called their hotline to make sure the roller had two caps.  Yes, they do.  The good news was the local John Deere dealer had these caps in stock and he opened a "ticket" so the cap would be there and ready for me when I got to the dealership.  I told the hotline to cancel sending the shaft.  He said it was already shipped yesterday and I would to pay a restocking fee.   No... it wasn't my choice to order a shaft.  He said he would look into it and try to cancel the re-stock fee.

Then off to John Deere.  They have three parts people.  The two I had spoken earlier were not around.  Fine.  I didn't want to speak with them again.  I spoke to the third person.  He said he would have to look for the cap.  He when through a door and I saw him then talk with the parts person I spoke with on Monday and who said I needed the shaft.  The third guy come back with nothing.  Huh?  He then said he forgot what he went back there to find.  He looked at his computer and then went back.

Meanwhile the second parts person came out and helped another customer.  The third person came back and said he found bearings not a cap, double checked his computer and then when in the back through another door.  As he came back the second parts person came over and said he had something to tell me.  Great. Just great.  I wasn't interested in talking to him.  But then he showed me a bag.  He said this was in the carton with my roller on Monday and he forgot to give it to me.  The bag contained two new end caps for my roller.  The third guy came back and said, ''I guess now I won't have to charge you for a new cap'.   Why couldn't they have given me this bag on Monday and saved me all this trouble?



Later I thought... the wrong roller was $810.  The new roller was $2067.  And now I found the caps were included with the correct roller, and not with the wrong roller.  For such a price difference, maybe the shaft was suppose to be included with the correct roller.

Curtis had something to do this afternoon so tomorrow our plan is to install the new roller into my baler.   I hope everything goes well.   But the way my luck has been lately, who knows?

No comments: