Friday, July 05, 2024

Baler fixed

Thursday July 4 I finally fixed my baler.  Curtis and I slowly worked on installing the new roller.  We had to be careful the shaft didn't slip out of the roller as we worked the roller around the belts and into the baler.  Earlier that morning I had lent Jan my pickup so she and her son Kerry could cut and haul tree branches from around her yard.  While Curtis and I were trying to fit the last of the roller into the baler they stopped by to ask where in my pasture they were to dump the branches.  Kerry ended up helping us lift the last end of the roller into place.

Since I don't have a bale to netwrap, the only thing we could do was test that the belts turned.  They didn't.  Why?  I tried this and that.  We saw that the front roller turned, the roller that is turned by a chain connected to the driveshaft.

I opened the back end of the baler and then tried running the baler just to try something different.  The belts turned.  I closed the baler and tried again.  The belts turned.  Why it started working, who knows.  But it works now.

I parked the baler.  Next up is the second hay cutting next month.  That will be the test that we fixed it.

No comments: