Sunday, July 21, 2024

Cattle into the middle pasture

Friday I finally let the cattle into the middle pasture.  It would have been a week earlier but first I had to work on fence near the river.  Then I wanted to burn a tree stump before letting the cattle into the pasture.   As you can see the grass is tall in this pasture.




Here is a video of Haynes.   He has a limp now.  I think it is due to him breeding the cows. He is getting big and the cows will move away if they are not ready to be bred. So up-and-down and up-and-down until the cows are bred. He probably pulled a muscle. Time for the bull to be sold in a month or so. The cows should be bred by now and this will give him time to recover.   https://youtu.be/ECmc2ZZoL4M



My plan was to fill in the dirt from the burnt tree stump before letting the cattle into the middle pasture.   But I had to help Donna with her well pump failure.  In the evening I decided to let the cattle into the pasture before it got dark.  I figured the cattle had plenty to eat and see and I would have time to push the dirt back into the hole before they found it.

After opening the gate and letting the cows into the pasture I went and got the salt block from the north pasture and carried it to the feeder in the middle pasture.  By the time I did this, even though the dirt was across the pasture from the gate and somewhat hidden by tall grass, some of the cows already were at the dirt and rubbing in it. 




I chased the cows away.   Then the calves came and got into the act.   https://youtu.be/L2quZEQmXhY



Then Haynes the bull came over before I got all of the dirt back into the hole.  Everyone had to stand back and watch as he rolled around in the dirt.   Some of the calves wanted to join him but Haynes would shake his head at them and the calves would run away.  I just stood and watched. No way was I going to make the bull mad.   Eventually Haynes just stood there. Standing over his domain.  I waited and waited until he finally walked off to go join the cows elsewhere.   That is why the light had faded in these photos.   I raked what was left of the dirt into the hole.


No comments: