Monday, June 19, 2023

Yard tree update

Here are some updates about the yard and fruit tree area trees.

My apple tree.  Unknown variety of apples.  Plus a photo of the apples.



The transparent apple tree.  Plus a photo of the apples.



I'm not sure when I planted this winesap apple tree.  Over ten years ago.  The cattle got to it in the past.  Plus winter kill and whatever else throws it back in some years.



Main apricot tree.  No apricots again this year.  The tree blooms too early.


This apricot tree was knocked back by the cattle many years ago.  It grows, but doesn't seem to get bigger.



The black walnut tree in the fruit tree yard.  Winter kill knocked it back apparently this year.


My oldest black walnut tree.  In the front yard.   It grows, but black walnut trees grow slowly.  This tree is 10 to 15 years old.


A younger black walnut tree in the front yard.  This is how I protected the tree from the cows.   And after I removed the fencing protecting the tree.


My hazelnut tree / bushes in the yard.   They grow.  I think the deer may eat on them later in the year.  Not the cows as I protect them from the cows.  I would have thought these trees/bushes would be bigger by now.



This pear tree was knocked back last year when the cows got through the fencing and ate a lot of the leaves.  Then the winter kill knocked it back more.  But now the tree is coming back from the roots.



My small English walnut tree is doing great this year.  (No photo).    

Last month I had talked with a guy down the road whose hobby/job is pruning trees and knows about fruit trees.  He said this past Winter killed one of his pear trees.   In the past he could only get his English walnut trees to last up to 5 years.  Where we live, we are on the edge of where English walnut trees could grow.   This tree is 15-20 years old. This tree was hit hard hit by our cold Winter last Winter.   I thought the tree had died.   The guy said wait, maybe the tree will come back in June.  A few days ago I saw the tree is trying to come back to life.  I hope it makes it.  This is my favorite tree.

No comments: