Saturday, June 17, 2023

Old downed trees in south pasture

While cutting the hawthorn trees in the south pasture, I took time to trim a few evergreen trees that had fallen down over the recent years.  I don't remember how long they have been down... 5 to 10 years?  As they are resting on the branches and not laying on the ground, the tree trunks don't decay as fast.

This one I trimmed a bit shorter.  I don't have a 'before' photo.   I have enough firewood and logs to split, so since this isn't decaying fast, I am letting this tree and the next tree be for now.



This tree trunk fell over for a longer time than the tree in the previous photo.   It was a bigger tree and had more branches.  Over the years I spent a little time at various times cutting its branches using a handsaw.  This time as I had the chainsaw with me, I cut off the remaining branches.  Of course, I left the branches holding the trunk off the ground.  And I trimmed the tree trunk a little shorter.  Most of the other trees in the photo are hawthorn trees, trees that will be cut another time or year.



No comments: