Friday, June 23, 2023

Calf 14 - Day 2

This morning at 7 am I heard a cow mooing oddly.  So I got dressed and went out to see what was going on.   I found cow 10 standing in the fruit tree area and calling out.  Cow 10 was looking out across the fruit tree area.  Where is her calf?   I looked around the fruit tree area and no calf.

I noticed that a corral panel acting as a fence was bent up in the bottom.   Other years the cattle would eat grass in the NE pasture before the fruit tree area and some would want to eat grass in the fruit tree area earlier and would put their head under the corral panel and try to lift it up and would bend the panel at the bottom.  Maybe the calf rolled under the panel.


Inside the fruit tree area and laying next to the next corral panel was cow 60's calf.


I then looked in the NE pasture just outside the fruit tree area fencing and found the calf laying curled up in the tall grass.  

When I went to the calf he jumped up and ran.  He ran along the panels and then the fence all the way to the fence by the road.  His mother, and cow 60 and her calf, ran along on the other side of the fence.  I herded the calf back away from near the road and towards a gate.  He ran past the gate back to the corner section with the bent panel.  Then he tried to go through the panel but couldn't.  I detached the panel from the corral fence post and the calf ran into the fruit tree area to his mother and began to drink from her.

This is where the calf was laying.

After breakfast later I saw the cows and cow 60's calf were laying in the fruit tree area near the box elder trees and the stacked irrigation pipes.  Where is calf 14?  I walked around and around.  I found the calf in the opposite corner near the road and driveway gate.  But still in the fruit tree area.



I left him be although I preferred he would lay near his mother and away from the road.  An hour later I went for a bicycle ride.  He was still laying there.  A few hours later when I got back home he was still laying there.  Ok... you had enough time away from your mama.  I walked over to him and he jumped up and ran across the fruit tree area to his mother.  He then started to drink from his mama.    When I looked hours later he was walking near his mama as she walked and ate.  That's better.

No comments: