Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Cattle into NE pasture

This morning I found cow 60 outside the fruit tree area and in the NE pasture.  She found a spot away from the metal fence posts I added last night and she squeezed through.   She now wanted back into the fruit tree area to feed her calf.  I opened the gate to let her in.  While the other cattle were not near the gate when I initially opened the gate, the little red calf ran outside while cow 60 ran inside.  Getting the calf back into the fruit tree area was harder than getting cow 60 inside.   The calf ran here and there.  Eventually the calf ran to the corral panel area and squeezed through them before I could reach her.

The fruit tree area is getting eaten down.  You can see the cows got to one of the cherry trees.



Time for the cows and calves to be let out into the NE pasture.  But I had some things I needed to do first.

I wanted to move the metal feeders and then harrow the corral and the extended corral.

The corral... before and after.




The extended corral... before and after.

Where the metal feeder had sat.



I also wanted to get the haybine out of the NE pasture.  I'm going to finally cut my hayfield in a few days.  Rain has been in the forecast the past week.  But it has been scattered.  I only got a few drops a few times.  But if I had cut my hayfield, it would have come and poured over the ranch.  This afternoon I rode my bicycle.  Five miles from home I saw a guy cutting a field.  He had a "mower-conditioner" (MoCo) which I would like to get to replace my haybine.  But I heard they require a high PTO number to run.  I stopped and asked him how much PTO is needed to run his MoCo .  He said 135 hp.  My tractor's PTO is 60-65 hp.

Rain clouds were around.  After taking with the guy, when walking back to my bicycle it began to rain.  It was less than a half mile before I could reach some tree to stand out of the rain as it was raining real hard.  Yup... cutting hay and me and it would then rain.  After the rain stopped I rode home.  A half mile down the road, the road was mostly dry.  I think it only rained there because I stood in a freshly cut hay field.

After I got the haybine out of the NE pasture and parked it in the harrowed extended corral area, I greased and checked out the haybine.  When done I noticed a replacement heifer was in the middle pasture.  She had somehow got through the fence to get there.  


The rest of the herd stood at the south/middle pasture gate and were mooing as they wanted to join this one heifer.




Since the cattle were at the gate, I guess it is time to let them into the NE pasture and also let the two cows and calves out of the fruit tree area.  The cattle from the south pasture ran to the NE pasture.  Except for a fat cow and a few calves who walked there.  By the time we reached the NE pasture some of the cows and Haynes ran out of the NE pasture and back into the north pasture.  I had to close the gate as the rest of the cattle wanted to run out of the NE pasture to join the few in the north pasture.  After a little while the cows and Haynes in the north pasture came back to the gate and I let them into the NE pasture.  I then let the two cows and calves out of the fruit tree area.  One calf was a pain as, instead of going through the gate to join the rest, he would run past the open gate to look through the fence on the other side.  Over and over.  Finally he ran through the gate when I went to get the salt block to bring through the gate.

It has been a dry Spring.  I'm starting to get some yellow grass.




Haynes was keeping an eye on cow 110.  She might becoming into heat.

No comments: