Sunday, June 18, 2023

Cattle: south pasture, fruit tree area

Yesterday I moved most of the cattle from the middle to the south pasture.  I still haven't finished all my hawthorn work in the south pasture due to the weather and distractions.   I am almost done, and what's left shouldn't be disturbed by the cattle.  Well....   mostly shouldn't.   Today when I went to work more on the hawthorn cleanup I discovered the wheelbarrow was moved some distance away.   Due to the rain I leave the wheelbarrow tipped upside down overnight.  Doesn't matter to the cattle - or, most likely Haynes the bull - as the wheelbarrow was pushed.   At least the wheelbarrow was not pushed to the river.

Today I moved the two cows and calf from the yard to the fruit tree area.   The yard is fairly eaten down.  Cow 60 is also now trying to get to the caragana trees.   A few days ago I discovered one of the steel fence posts was completely pulled out of the ground.   I pounded it back into the ground.   Today I saw cow 60 had pushed up on the fence to reach the caragana trees.  The posts stayed in the ground but the a few wires holding the fence to the posts came off and the wire was bent.  Definitely time to go to the fruit tree area.

First I had to do some work to put up some fencing protect the rhubarb plants, and a few of the smaller trees in the fruit tree area.

It wasn't too hard to get the cows to go through the small gate to the fruit tree area.  The calf, for some reason, was wary of the opening and wouldn't go through it.   I went off and photographed the caragana trees and fencing, and while I was away the calf went through the gate to join the cows.


Caragana trees.  And after I re-straightened the fencing.


You can see the fur where cow 60 pushed under the fence to reach the caragana trees.


You can see some of the damage cow 60 caused.


And the cows would eat the caragana branches that stuck through the fencing.



But the wild rose is thorny and that quickly put a stop to the cows eating it.



The calf wouldn't go through the gate.  When I tried to herd him to the gate he would run past the gate.  Btw - the tarp is to protect the shingle roof on the well house.  Otherwise the cattle will bite and pull shingles off the roof.





I had a few tulips here.  Before the cows were in the yard.  Not only did the cows eat the tulips, they walked in the small dirt area.


You can see how the cows ate the leaves and branches on this box elder tree.   If I don't protect the trees and bushes the cows will try to eat them.  Grass isn't good enough for my cows.

No comments: